South Africa woke up to the devastating news of the death of the king of amaZulu, King Goodwill Zwelithini. “It is with the utmost grief that I inform the nation of the passing of His Majesty King Goodwill Zwelithini ka Bhekuzulu, King of the Zulu Nation,” said prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi on a statement on Friday. This is a month after the king was admitted to a Kwazulu-Natal hospital due to high glucose level. It was later reported that he eventually succumbed to covid-19 on Friday.
5 facts about King Zwelithini Buthelezi
- His great-great grandfather king Mpande was a half brother of King Shaka Zulu
- He was the eldest son of king Cyprian Bhekuzulu and his second wife queen Thomo
- When his father died, a regent was appointed to take over while King Zwelithini completed his studies
- He was the longest reigning king of Amazulu for 50 years
- King Zwelithini had 6 wives and 28 children